21 September 2009

Italian Style Breaded Chicken


This is probably one of the lazier things that I've cooked in the last four weeks. I also cooked this three weeks ago, but I've been too lazy to upload anything. Now feeling enlightened in physics class, I post this recipe from Blazing Hot Wok.


http://www.blazinghotwok.com/2009/07/supertastic-chicken.html#links


When I read the recipe, I thought that it was really similar to a katsu recipe, but I really enjoyed using garlic and onion powders in the recipe to give the meat more flavor. I also like using panko crumbs more than Italian bread crumbs and this recipe really gave me ideas on how to flavor the meat in katsu without the sauce.


Italian-style breaded chicken (aka chicken parmesan)

Feeds 3 to 4

  • 2 large chicken breasts
  • 1 cup Italian bread crumbs
  • ½ (cup) grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1.5 tsp garlic powder
  • 1 tsp onion powder
  • 1 to 2 eggs, beaten
  • oil for pan-frying
  • Marinara (to taste)
  • shredded/grated Parmesan (to taste)
  • Spaghetti noodles (to taste)


Make the spaghetti according to the instructions. Heat the marinara sauce.


In a deep plate or pie dish, mix the bread crumbs, Parmesan, garlic and onion powders. Mix thoroughly and set aside.

Butterfly the chicken (or in layman's terms, cut it into thin pieces). After butterflying the pieces, I cut the chicken into long strips. There's really no difference, but I like having more surface area for more crispiness.

In a large bowl, mix the chicken, eggs and a pinch of salt.

I added enough oil to cover the bottom of the frying pan. I just fried the chicken in the pan on medium-high heat. I think it took about five minutes per side.


Serve the chicken with the spaghetti and the marinara. I separate the chicken from the sauce until right before serving because the marinara sauce causes the chicken to become soggy. :(.

No comments:

Post a Comment